If you have a personal story, volunteer resources, tips and advice you’d like to share for Do Good Thursday, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thailand’s a popular destination to visit for budget travels but did you also know that it’s a great destination for budget volunteer opportunities in Chiang Mai? Some programs can be costly but in Thailand, there are many programs that provide more than just housing for you. If you’re interested in volunteering in Thailand, below is a list of programs in Chiang Mai.
Volunteer at the Elephant Nature Park
If you’re into animals, and I mean BIG animals, the Elephant Nature Park just might be your calling. It appears to be one of the most popular volunteer opportunities in Chiang Mai for those who are interested in traveling around the country from four-wheel truck to bamboo raft, experience local and tribal lifestyles, culture and hospitality and most importantly, helping to save these endangered species.
- Accommodation: Traditional huts in the park with showers
- Cost: $375/week (includes transportation, lodging, food & elephant care)
- Duration: One, two or four week programs available
- Safety Precautions: Although rare, there have been isolated reported cases of malaria
- Insurance: All volunteers must obtain travel insurance and show proof of this at the start of the program
- Positions available: Professional veterinarian, elephant student vets, elephant helpers
Click here for additional info: http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/volunteer/index.htm
Take Me To Volunteer
This volunteer program is in an orphanage in Chiang Mai. Volunteers will be working with orphans, getting involved in the activities of the charities and their fund raising, helping to welcome visitors to the charities and wherever your assistance might be needed.
- Duration: Minimum of 3 nights
- Cost: $405/3 nights; $570/week
- Volunteer Hours: Monday – Friday, 9AM-5PM
Click here for additional info: http://takemetovolunteertravel.com/VolunteerThailandChiangmai.html
Travel To Teach
Travel To Teach has two volunteer programs available. Volunteers have the opportunity to teach English at two Primary schools with children ages 6 to 15 years old.
They also have a Restoration and Camps program where volunteers work to improve the structure and quality of the camps where students go to learn English. The time available for this position is when the camps are close for school holidays which are between mid-February to mid-May and in October.
- Accommodation: Dorm in a stone and wooden Thai style house, communal room with TV, DVD and computer, kitchen gas cooker, toaster, fridge, water kettle, other cookware, western style toilets and hot water shower.
- Costs: Discount of $340 for couples or two friends; Apply in May, June and July to receive a $135 discount
*This program states that they are currently not placing volunteers, however if you look under Program Fees arrivals dates for the program are listed. If you are interested in volunteering for Travel To Teach, please verify directly with the organization.
Click here for additional info: http://www.travel-to-teach.org/thailand/volunteer-chiang-mai.php
Kid Launch has just opened its first hill tribe school north of Chiang Mai and is looking for volunteers to teach English to both students and parents. Formal schooling has been limited here for the students of this hill tribe due to its location.
- Duration: Minimum of 3 months
Click here for more info: http://realvolunteerthailand.com/volunteer-teachers-needed-in-chiang-mai-thailand/
Teaching Monks In Chiang Mai
There is an opportunity open to volunteers who are interested in teaching or assisting the Thai faculty of teaching young monks ages 12-18 at five different monasteries in Chiang Mai.
- Requirements: Must be 18+ at the beginning of the program. Proficient and written and spoken English
- What is provided: Airport transportation, 2-day orientation, lodging, breakfast, full comprehensive travel and medicine insurance, in-country support and pre-departure information.
- Start date: 1st and 3rd Monday of every month
- Cost: Ranges from $600 for 2 weeks to $1350 for 8 weeks; additional $125 a week after 8 weeks.
- Application fee: $200
Click here for more info: http://www.volunteeringsolutions.com/thailand/volunteer_teaching_english_thailand.htm
Rustic Volunteer Travel
Volunteers will be working in childcare centers set up by the local government and Buddhist temples to support children and orphans between the ages of 2-6. Volunteers can create their own lesson plans to conduct within class which best suits the needs and interests of the young children.
- Work hours: 8AM-12PM
- Accommodations: Room/food is managed by Rustic Volunteer Travels for volunteers. Volunteers are placed with hostel families or hostels.
- Start date: 2nd and 4th Monday of each month
- Cost: Ranges from $280 for 1 week to $1,380 for 12 weeks; additional $30 a week after 12 weeks (Food not included)
- Application fee: $250
Click here for more info: http://www.rustic-volunteer-travel.com/thailand/
Gap Year In Asia
Several projects are available in Chiang Mai to teach English, work at an orphanage and help build necessary facilities with hilltribe people. The programs are listed below from Gap Year Asia.
- Duration: 1 week to 24 weeks
- Accommodation: Single room guest house in Chiang Mai; Homestay if you volunteer with the hilltribe people.
Click here for more info: http://www.ifrevolunteers.org/thailand/volunteer_in_thailand.php
This orphanage in Chiang Mai is the home for orphaned children in the Northern Region of Thailand caring for babies and children up to 6 years old and for girls from the age of 7 until 18 years.
Hilltribe Village School
Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand is home to interesting and colorful ethnic minorities, known as the hill tribes. Most of the hill tribes have migrated into the region during the past 100 years from the Asian interior and have preserved their traditional ways. The village school is a government school, teaching from grade 1-9. Most of students are hilltribe children. There are 250 children at this school aged 3 to 9 years old.
Orphanage for HIV affected Children
This project helps children whose parents have died from AIDS by providing an education so they can develop their skills to earn a living and allow them to become self-supportive. The orphanage needs volunteers for English teaching, cooking and teaching music.
Building Facilities in the Hilltribe VillagesThis is a great project to give back to the community in a very practical way. At this project you will be actively helping local hill tribe villages to build necessary water & sanitation facilities or other facilities such as school buildings that are needed at the time to improve the lives of the hilltribe people considerably.
Charity for Single Mothers
Volunteer at this charity for single mothers in Chiang Mai. This is a temporary home for unemployed single mothers with very young children and a shelter for unmarried pregnant young women prior to the birth of their child. Volunteers can teach English or teach vocational skills such as sewing, cooking, crafts, baking or jewelry making.
This project in Chiang Mai works in northern Thailand focusing on early childhood care development, education, life skills and children orphaned and made vulnerable by HIV. Volunteer activities include teaching English and helping in the office of the project.
Village School & Child Care Center
The school and child care center is situated in the heart of the community in the village very close to an elephant camp. There are 33 children at this school and child care center aged 3 to 5 years old. Most of the students are hilltribe children. Volunteers will be helping to take care of the children, play with them and teach basic English.
Click here for more info: http://www.gapyearinasia.com/chiangmai.html
IFRE Volunteers Abroad
IFRE offers one week of language and cultural orientation ($250/week) but you can opt to go directly to the volunteer project. The volunteer programs include working with disadvantaged children, teaching English in primary and secondary schools, teaching English in a Buddhist temple and working in an elderly home.
- Start dates: 1st and 3rd Monday of each month
- Application fee: $349
- Program fee: Ranges from $299 for 4 days to $1,781 for 12 weeks (Includes 3 meals a day, accommodation, travel insurance, airport pickup, in country transportation, country coordinator support, volunteer care and other services and emergency support)